We were contracted by a TV series called “Space Command” to make 24 models of their main spacecraft called the “Paladin.” We’ve never done this before, and decided a 3D print, followed by a mold and castings in resin would be the best way to go.
First we asked for a digital file from the client of the Paladin model which was used for the special effects in the production. I modified it in Z-Brush and prepared it for 3D printing. This is the model from the print contractor.
The next step was to get a mold and castings of the 3D print. We hired another company to do this.
The client had us go through several iterations on the paint job. We supplied a “metallic” finish, but it was not shiny enough. So we tried many products until we found an exotic paint that needed a gloss coat of black followed by a thin layer of liquid metal on top. It has the look of polished aluminum. The decals were done with a small die casting machine we have.